The department of Agriculture Papum Pare district was established in the year 2001 and since then the department is working for over all development of agriculture sector in the district with the following functions and responsibilities-
- Formulation and implantation of policies and programmes aimed at achieving rapid agricultural growth in the district through optimum utilization of land, water, soil and plant resources of the district, the farming community through agricultural extension services.
- Implantation of beneficiary oriented schemes for economic upliftment of farming community of the district.
- Establish farmer dependent coordination in implementing and providing technological know how to the farming community through agricultural extension services.
- Undertake all possible measures to ensure timely and adequate supply of quality inputs and services such as seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, agricultural implements etc.
- Motivate farmers to minimize the use of pesticides by adoption of integrated pest management.
- Motivate farmers for diversification of crop from their traditional practice of mono cropping so as to increase production and income level.
- Popularize the use of farmers friendly bio fertilizers.
- Monitoring of soil health and testing of soil nutrient level through soil sample collection and testing from farmers field across the district.
- Educate farmers on soil and water conservation technologies.
- Conducting survey of collection and maintenance of a wide range of statistical and economic data relating to agriculture require for developing planning.
- Removal of rural poverty through modern agricultural practices.
- Empowerment of rural women through farming
- Improvement of nutritional standards and quality of life of the rural people.
- Centrally Sponsored: RKVY, NFSM, SMAM, MOVCD, ATMA, PMKSY.
- State Sponsored: CMMP of Tea and Rubber, CM Agri Mechanization Programme etc.